I grew up eating this dish but I have changed the recipe ever so slightly. When I get lazy this is what I cook. Luckily it is my husbands favourite dishes so it is well received.
- 6 Eggs hard-boiled, shell removed.
- 1 small red onion finely sliced
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes chopped roughly
- Handful of fresh coriander chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed and chopped finely
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 1/2 large red chilli (de seed it if you wish)
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water.
Heat 1 tsp of oil in a wok or frying pan. Add eggs and blister their skins by frying for a minute or so. Remove and set aside
Add remaining oil to pan. Add mustard seeds, as they start to pop, add fresh chilli, coriander stalks, and onion: fry till onions begin to soften, add garlic,salt and spices. Fry for a minute, add the water and tomatoes. Lower the heat, add eggs and simmer for 4 mins or until the sauce is reduced. Add spinach leaves, once the leaves start to wilt give the curry a gently mix and remove from heat.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with Roti, parathas or hot rice.