This week I’ve gone back to some old trusty recipes – here is one of them..
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 kg chicken thigh fillets skin on
- 1 medium brown onion chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 410 g canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 drained anchovy fillets, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup seeded black olives, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Heat half the oil in a large saucepan, cook chicken, in batches until it browned all over. Remove from pan.
Heat remaining oil in same pan, cook onion and garlic stirring until onion softens. Stir in wine, vinegar, stock, tomatoes, paste and anchovies.
Return chicken to pan, fitting pieces tightly together in a single layer, bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 mins. Uncover, simmer for 30 mins or until chicken is tender and sauce is reduced.
Skim fat from surface, stir in olives and parsley.
Tip: For enhanced flavour, slice half a chorizo, fry it and add it to the mixture when you add the chicken.